It’s 9 days into the new year, and as the past few weeks have been all about introspection anyway, I imagine that I’m due for another blog post about why I haven’t been writing anything. After all, it seems that most of the posts I’ve made within the past two years have basically said that. But seriously, there has been quite a bit going on inside my noggin’ and it seems like this is as good of a time as any to start laying it down.
The past few months had pretty much left me feeling physically exhausted, emotionally drained and mentally mush. After returning from our honeymoon in mid-May I went straight into a full-on onslaught of work which did not let up until Christmas. I can say that I returned from a nice trip home for the holidays with a fresh outlook on life, family, friends and work. With that, I’m exercising again, eating better, and am energized to do good work.
Things that inspired me this past year:
- Getting married
- Meeting Melissa and her fiancee in London
- Eating curry on Brick Lane at 2am
- Sunday roast in Shepherd’s Bush
- Walking in Paris (and eating in Paris)
- Train ride through the Basque country
- Seeing the Spanish wineries
- Meeting cool Brits in a Sevillian tasca and partying with them until the wee hours of the morning
- Drinking vermouth from a tap
- Winning a halloween costume contest
- Getting Dave to visit SF and seeing the Decemberists!
- Edward Tufte
- Reconnecting with old friends from high school and college
- Seeing Feist live in concert
- Making connections between old friends that you never realized knew each other
- Getting a call from Greg Phillips at a Samples show in the middle of the night
- Having friends from NJ move to SF
- Having two bachelor parties in Vegas and New York
- Having Luke join us for Thanksgiving
Things that I learned (or re-learned) this past year:
- I’m good at my job
- People can disappoint you
- Trust but verify
- Drink lots of water
- Get a good night’s sleep
- This is a very small world
- Patience is a virtue
- Anger will destroy you
- Memory is powerful
- Friendships can be re-kindled
I haven’t made any fancy resolutions this year but I have resolved to work on having a healthy body and mind, on spending more time doing the things I love, and spending more quality time with friends and family. I also intend on maximizing my time on the west coast and getting out to see some of our friends in the northwest.
I’ve been doing quite a bit of thinking lately on how and why I got into technology, the internet and the people that turned me on to it, but I think that is a post unto itself. Until then….here’s to a good year.